Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Perinatal Consultation

I had my perinatal consult today, and was pleasantly surprised when the woman called me back and we walked to the ultrasound room! I said, "am I getting a scan today?" Then after telling her what I thought I was there for (a meeting with the doctor to go over timing for NST's (non stress tests) and recommendation for delivery with amnio? or steroids? or none of the above) But, first things first... a surprise ultrasound!! I always love getting to see our little girl! (and yes, I had the tech scan her 'area' once again, and she showed a very clear view of her girly parts - even I could tell!) She's weighing in at 2lbs 11oz! WOW! (I think 2lbs 3oz is the average). The doctor said that we would start weekly NST's at 32 weeks - which would consist of me being hooked up to a monitor for the babies heartbeat for 30 minutes and an ultrasound to check the fluid levels. I asked my biggest question - WHEN! He said, we could do 37 weeks.. but anything before 38 weeks I'd have to get steroid shots, and if I got those, I'd probably have to be in the hospital for 2 days before her birth because of blood sugars going wacky and they'd want to monitor that. I'm feeling like the closer to 38 weeks the better (I'd rather not be in the hospital any longer than I have to, AND even though I don't really trust my body to do the right thing, I still feel like the safest place for the babe is inside with as much time to grow as possible) - but we'll reassess my sanity as time goes on. I also tend to start contracting earlier than 38 weeks.. so if that happens the babe can be born without steroids! :) Here are two pictures that I got today of our sweet little Delaney! Her hands are still up by her face, but not covering it! No 3D pics today though..

10 comments:

Beth Skog said...

90 days to go ;-)

Shannon Ryan said...

90!?! MINUS 14 days minimum! haha
I've got 76 or less! ;)

Mom said...

Great news. It seems like you got you questions answered today. Now for the doctor to set a delivery date. Glad to see new pictures and that she is growing so well.

Heather E said...

That is so exciting Shannon! Wow! 76 days or less and you will be holding your sweet little girl in your arms and happy to be sleep deprived because she wants to nurse every two or three hours.

Michelle R said...

She's beautiful :)

Melissa said...

Yay for surprise u/s!

Great pics!

Inanna said...

What a sweet sight! :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How wonderful. I don't know if I mentioned this before but when my kids were born I wasn't even allowed to see the screen. Yes, I'm and oldie but a goodie! I am
so excited for you and your family.
Prayers to God!

Fireflyforever said...

76 days or so. I'M so excited ... I can only imagine how you're doing!!!!

Michelle S, said...

looks like she is waving! already social like her big sis :) can't wait to meet her, seems like this is flying by!